Pages

Sunday 13 April 2014

Colonial militia fighter (TW)

Here is the 1st of my colour-scheme tests for colonial militia fighters in Tomorrow's War.  The figure is a Rebel Minis Sahadeen fighter.  As with all my 15mm scale minis, these are mounted on 1 pence pieces.  The flock is from Gale Force 9, except the static grass, which is Citadel Glade Grass.  The large leaves are snipped from a plastic aquarium plant.  Before I paint up too many of these, I was wondering what people thought of this as an example.  This will be the general palette of colours, but with variations.  The militia fighters will wear a mix-&-match of captured UMC fatigues, drab/foresty civilian clothes, & vivid camo hoods suited to the colony world's flora.


I decided to go with a bright green rifle casing which matches the colonial combat androids that I've already painted up. This is to help tie the colony forces together visually, but also because the weapons used by the militia will be similarly locally-produced using simple templates (in a '3D-printing' style).  The colonial weapons & droids will generally be lightweight, easy to produce & maintain; but outclassed by the rugged, tried-&-tested military tech of the UMC invaders.  All colour-scheme thoughts, opinions & suggestions welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Do you think maybe there are too many colours? If you've got camo trousers, perhaps the pattern on the hood is a bit much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely one of my concerns. I have seen some striking real-life combos worn by militia in Africa and Lebanon though, & the plants on this fictional planet are very garish.

      I think it will be worth trying-out some more muted schemes though, you are right.

      Delete
  2. How did you find your castings of the Sahadeen, PC? A good number of mine needed a lot of clean up, and had indistinct detail, not something that I have come across with Rebel before. It was as if the two halves of the mould were seriously mis-aligned. I didn't want to make a fuss with Mike and give him a hard time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's unfortunate :-\ My figures themselves were of the usual high Rebel Minis standard, although the underside of the bases were very bumpy with 'ledges' that I had to do a lot of slicing & filing of before I could stick them to the coins.

      Does sound like you got a bad batch.

      Delete
  3. That's okay then, just a minor glitch. I'm glad yours were all right anyway!

    ReplyDelete