Pages

Saturday 26 October 2013

Jungle scatter terrain (TW)

This week I put together a my first set of scatter terrain for Tomorrow's War.  After initially planning an urban Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell inspired setting, I'm favouring an alien jungle world now, because it's something that I've never tried before.  This would be a colony planet where Earth forces are battling separatists.  I've had Avatar's Pandora & Warhammer 40,000's Catachan in mind, although less deadly to Human life.  I think I'll have to decide on infantry/vehicle/mech camo schemes based on my finished terrain.


I've had this plastic wreath of red & lime green leaves for a few years, but never had the need to make any jungle scenery before now.  The quality of these plastic leaves is particularly good, with a waxy, detailed surface, which I have varnished using Games Workshop 'Ard Coat to really bring them to life.  Sections from this wreath formed the centrepieces of this scatter terrain, whilst I have used hobby lichen & offcuts of smaller aquarium fake plants (highlighted & varnished) for the undergrowth.  The 3 different flocks are from Gale Force Nine. The bases are Ø30mm & Ø50mm 1.5mm thick laser-cut ply from Fenris Games.  Here are the scatter pieces with a 15mm figure for scale:

In Tomorrow's War rules the effects of this jungle terrain will be limited to the 'outer perimeter' of this scatter, rather than actual line of sight.  The individual pieces within the 'jungle area' can be moved as needed to accommodate figures during games.  Today I bought a couple packs of more vividly-coloured plastic aquarium plants. I think the trick will be to limit the number of colours on each base so that overall there is a varicoloured mix to the jungle, but individually the bases don't look too riotously messy.  Other terrain ideas I've had so far for this setting are white-washed futuristic colony buildings, weird rock formations, murky lakes with giant lily pads, & overgrown space shuttle wreckage.  Any & all suggestions for terrain welcome!

1 comment:

  1. My friend Tim had a good suggestion for these plants - to paint the stems so that they look less like oversized saplings. I think I'll use a brown with a hint of purple for the 'trunks', to stick with the alien look.

    ReplyDelete