Pages

Sunday 19 August 2018

Wooden barrels & boxes

Last week I painted some 28mm scatter terrain - 3 sets of wooden barrels & boxes.  These will be suitable both for my 'Ronin' (chanbara skirmish games) & my 'Chain of Command' Russian Civil War collection.  The pieces are a mix of resin barrels & boxes from Fenris Games, & 2-piece plastic barrels in 2 sizes manufactured by Renedra (I purchased through Perry Miniatures as part of a Samurai figures order).  Both were easy to prepare (the resin pieces merely needed a quick scrub with soapy water to remove casting residue; whilst the 2-piece plastic barrels required clipping from their sprues & gluing together.

A nice touch to the Renedra plastic barrels is that they are cast in brown plastic, so could be table ready in a basic manner very quickly.  They also look a lot like traditional Japanese barrels.  However, not all of their joins fitted perfectly during assembly.  I used basic drying brushing to paint mine in a variety of wooden hues.  I'd been trying to decide what to do for the basing for a while, reasoning that my usual 'wilderness' look of grass & moss tufts would seem a bit out of place for barrels - they would be in a street or yard, not laying in a field or wood.  Then I stumbled on a very old bag of fawny-coloured flock (from the first few years of my miniatures hobbying, nearly 2 decades ago!), & found that mixing it 3-to-2 with my dark earth flock of choice made for a pleasant 'compacted/dusty earthen street' look, as seen in many chanbara films (e.g. the Zatoichi & Sleepy Eyes of Death series).  I added a sprinkle of small dark green flock plants for variety, & the look was complete.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous stands and very useful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Michael. Yeah, simple but handy for lots of settings!

      Delete