Pages

Thursday 20 July 2017

Lustria scatter foliage

Back to the steaming jungles of Lustria in the Warhammer world now - this week I made four pieces of scatter terrain for my Lizardmen collection.  I've never had any interest in playing Warhammer Fantasy Battles (& even less in having anything to do with 'Age of Sigmar'!), but I do like a bit of Warhammer Quest, & I've always wanted to have a little Lizardmen collection for the awesome combination of dinosaurs & Aztecs!  So I while back I started a slow-burn project to create a 3D dungeon set with a Lustrian theme.  Having been hooked by Osprey Publishing's 'Ronin' rules recently, I also thought I could use my Lustrian figures to have a few small skirmish games between these cold-blooded ancient ones & a band of marauding conquistadors from the Empire.

I built up small mounds of polystyrene on laser-cut ply discs from Fenris Games, & they textured them with coarse paint thickener.  I also pressed some stones into the mix.  After painting the bases, I flocked them with a mix of Gale Force Nine dirt & summer meadow, plus summer static grass & a few Gamers' Grass summer tufts.  I them carefully painted the 'rocks' in a few different shades of ochre grey & blue-grey, & then highlighted them.  At this point it almost seemed a shame to add the plastic aquarium plants...


..The mass of aquarium plants that I have collected over the years came in handy as I snipped pieces up, & glued them into holes that I poked in the polystyrene mounds.  I'm quite pleased with the end result.  I will do some scattered pots & vases & ruins for this mini-project next I think.  Looking forward to doing the highly-stylised Aztec block-work.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool - I dig how those turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice- what glue did you use for the plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barks. I just used good old PVA on the tip of each stem, & inserted them into holes that I poked in the polystyrene mounds.

      Delete