Monday, 16 March 2015

Cargo containers

Following on from the industrial units, here are 4 cargo containers that I've painted up, for 15mm-scale Force on Force / Tomorrow's War / Crossfire / zombie apocalypse games.  These nice castings are 'Medium Cargo Containers' from Rebel Minis - simple but effective for adding that touch of 'realism' to the tabletop battlefield.

Sunday, 15 March 2015

Industrial units

It took a couple of weeks, but I finally finished the pair of industrial units that I've been building for 15mm-scale zombie apocalypse games.  The main material is 5mm thick foamboard, with 3mm foamboard for internal walls, sections of matchsticks for window sills & door lintels, & thick card doors.  The windows are cut from transparent plastic packaging, with thin cardboard windowframes stuck around the edges (very fiddly at this scale!).  The outer walls were textured with paint thickener (readymix filler).  The roller shutters are sections of H Scale corrugated sheet from a model railway supplier.  I'm planning on having some scatter terrain such as crates to break up the internal space, but didn't want to go completely overboard with integral desks, shelving, & machinery etc.  I haven't bothered making a roof as it would be tiled & inaccessible. Next, I want to build a supermarket...

Thursday, 12 March 2015


I put together these two 15mm-scale hedgerows whilst working on a large scratchbuilt double industrial unit for zombie apocalypse games.  They are based on large lolly sticks, & are made from strips of thick polystyrene that I picked into rough hedge-like shapes with my fingers, before smoothing over with paint thickener (basically ready-mixed all-purpose filler in a tube).  I then painted the whole thing dark brown, before flocking the bases with Gale Force Nine earth & dead/winter static grass, & dry-brushing the upper hedges through a few dark greens.
They looked decent enough for gaming purposes by that point, but I added the final touch of some small Gale Force Nine meadow flock to better represent the texture.  These were very quick to make & I'm happy with how they turned-out. I will definitely be making some more of these (maybe some with telegraph poles) for my UK countryside setting.