Pages

Sunday 10 November 2019

Third Ronin game

Here's a short report on my third game of Ronin from last weekend, against my friend Tim.  For our third introductory game of Ronin, we kept our buntai values at 100pts, but I took on the role of the Koryû (sword school).  Unlike the generally low-skill katana-fodder of the Peasant & Yakuza factions, the Koryû are generally high-skill fighters.  This meant that I only had three figures against the nine of Tim's Yakuza mob!

The Black Hang gang had the same roster as in our second game - consisting of a Lieutenant with katana, a Thug with a tanegashima (matchlock) & katana, five Thugs with katanas, & two Ruffians with ararebō (clubs).  My Koryû meanwhile had a Sensei with the Fast & Intuitive Attributes, plus two Senpai, one with Fast, the other with Intuitive.  All three were armed with the weapons of their school - a katana & wakizashi (sword & short sword).  I liked the idea of each of the Sensei's senior students having focus in one area of his own mastery.

We picked the Capture scenario for a change, & changed the scenery around. The objective for both our buntai was to capture a chest containing a valuable artifact from the centre of the
board - in this case inside the large house.

Our buntai began at opposite ends of the road leading past the building, & hurried towards each other.  Tim split his Yakuza mob, sending several of them towards the back door of the house, while the main body of his buntai advanced along the road.  I dashed one of my Senpai towards the breakaway group, while my Sensei & other Senpai moved to thwart the main group of gangsters.  Tim's Thug with a matchlock fired at my Sensei, clipping him, causing a Light Wound.  That was close!  Outraged at the dishonourable tactic, my sword master charged into the Yakuza.  Before the Senpai could move to aid his master, a Ruffian blocked his way, swinging a club wildly.  Meanwhile, the Yakuza at the rear of the house retreated from the other Senpai, allowing him to dash inside & secure the artifact.

My Sensei was quickly surrounded by gangsters, but quickly proved how outclassed they were by slicing down the Lieutenant & one of his Thugs with his flashing katana, Grievously Wounding another two Thugs (including the matchlock gunner); & then slaying two more Thugs who piled in behind him.  Behind the Sensei, near the front door of the house, the (Intuitive) Senpai first cut-down the Ruffian who dared to challenge him, & then the Thug that followed him.

The Koryû play quite differently from more options-balanced buntai - further games should reveal if they are a little overpowered in low points value games / against poor-quality buntai like the Yakuza.  I was worried about how outnumbered I was, & especially when my Sensei was winged by the matchlock shot, but the Koryû certainly diced those gangsters up in short order!

3 comments:

  1. So good and so atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a bit of a test for me. It might have been more prudent to try and get another shot off at the Sensei, or to try and tie down Mark's figures while I used my numbers to make off with the artifact. However I thought I'd see how I got on taking on the Sensei in combat.

    The answer was: badly. Despite me having just about the best possible engagement (outnumbering 4:1, having my leader in the fight) I couldn't get a hit in. I think I was a little unlucky, but on the other hand Mark could have fought more defensively since he wasn't in a hurry - he twice left himself without an active defence, which is a risky move even for an elite fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Yes, I imagine a couple of accurate arrows or matchlock rounds would tun the Koryu's game around significantly

    ReplyDelete