Pages

Saturday 27 July 2019

Fighting Pit WIP

Here is a photo of my WIP Fighting Pit tile for Lustrian-themed Warhammer Quest I opted for
spectator walkways to the sides of the pit, as the original 2D WQ tile used this space for sunken walls painted in perspective; & I always thought the Fighting Pit was lacking sufficient space for spectators.  Concentrating on this Objective Room as one of my first 28mm-scale tiles has helped me iron-out the design principles that will feature on the whole set of dungeon tiles, & gets one of the more complex tiles finished early in the project.

After experimenting with raised dungeon tiles to allow for depressions such as the Fighting Pit & Fire Chasm etc (as well as magnetically-attached doorways!), I settled on the approach shown here, with slots at the appropriate points to allow for doorways or sections of blanking wall to be slipped in.  I did consider 30mm-high ('human-height') walls so I could get lots of overgrown Lizardmen ruins detail in, but after careful consideration & consultation with gaming comrades I have settled on low cutaway walls, which suggest the overall look while allowing better visibility of figures on the tabletop (as well as being less effort & taking-up less storage space).

Any suggestions or observations welcome  :-)

4 comments:

  1. More space is definitely going to be an improvement. The fighting pit always had a tendency to be crowded, since it gets filled with lots of objective room monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fighting pit, made perfect use of space and thankfully helped me with tackling the pit myself as it just didn't sit well with me either that there wasn't a walkway. Mind if I borrow the idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rusty, glad it helped - borrow away! I really like your own Warhammer Quest tiles, looking forward to seeing your take on the Fighting Pit.

      Delete