Pages

Sunday 16 August 2015

Syrian commando leaders

Last night I finished painting these leaders for my 1980s Syrian 'hunter-killer' commando teams, for 15mm Crossfire.  By the accounts that I have read, these helo-borne commandos were very effective in their attacks on IDF armour in Lebanon - much more so than the outclassed Syrian tanks were.  The commandos used ambushes with ATGMs, RPGs, & even AT grenades, as well as calling-in Gazelle helicopter strikes on the advancing Israeli columns, to deadly effect.  The base with 2 figures is the Platoon Commander (I'm planning to add a wire aerial to the radio man).

 The other 4 single figures are Squad Leaders for each of the teams.  I have painted them in a mixture of  'vertical lizard pattern', patchy camo, & Syrian Army fatigues, because as is common with elite units, they were allowed a great deal of flexibility with dress.  Most of the figures are wearing the orange berets popular among Syrian elite & 'political' troops at the time.

The figures are from the excellent Peter Pig AK47 range.  They are based on Ø25mm laser-cut ply bases from Fenris Games, to match the width of the 25 x 50mm pill-shaped fireteam bases that I am using.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely job, amazing detail on something so small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I had fun spending time on these. I'm especially pleased with how the patterns on the keffiyehs turned out - my new minuscule brushes proved their worth!

      Delete
  2. Nice looking figures, great details!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely work, have you seen the plastic rotors from hurlbat? I have some for my qrf hips, also being built/rebuilt/redesigned/updetailed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the rotors! I will take a look at those - I'd love some that are more wargaming-friendly than the bendy metal ones.

      Delete